077 27 675 171
A confident and clear communicator, both through the printed word and within a team environment, Richard is keen to bring his organised approach and his experience in writing, publishing and marketing to bear on the latest books and e-products.
KEY SKILLS & ACHIEVEMENTS
• Through volunteering in Communications and Marketing for environmental charity Groundwork Solent, I completed projects such as creating flyers, redesigning the region’s newsletter, and organising a mail merge.
• Worked as an Editorial and Publicity Intern for Granta Books in July/August 2010 and Atlantic Books in December 2010, gaining an understanding of the editorial decisions which must be made for a new book to be published and marketed.
• Answered calls for Debenhams customer service at The Listening Company, accessing the home ordering system and Debenhams website, and built rapport with customers to make sales in calls for Affinion International Ltd.
• Cross-cultural experience: I taught English to Bulgarian students and assisted with group activities during a short camp in Bulgaria in July 2008.
• Provided detailed analysis on texts including “Paradise Lost” and “Cold Mountain” during a course in English Literature at the University of Reading.
Team Working & Organisation
• Elected to be on the weekly steering committee of Reading University Christian Union, a group which organised and evaluated projects and meetings to fulfil the society's vision statement.
• Spent 12 months running a team which organised a free café every 2 weeks for international students; while leading the multi-cultural team, attendance at the café events increased by 50%.
• Pursued demanding team goals with a positive and focused perspective when making telephone sales.
Initiative & Adaptability
• Volunteered for a ten-month graduate programme with charity UCCF, for which I had to raise money. Showed discipline as I fulfilled reading, training commitments, managing my schedule in order to help at student meetings.
Numeracy, I.T. and Business Skills
• Familiar with Adobe InDesign, MS Word, Excel, Publisher and Twitter.
• Accurately recorded expenditure and progress in monthly 6-page reports during UCCF graduate programme, managing a budget; also proficient in logging calls using databases and other systems for Debenhams.
• Achieved B in Maths AS Level.
Atlantic Books Ltd.
Editorial & Publicity Intern
- Managed the mailing of proof or final copies of books to authors, agents, book-sellers and reviewers
- Proof-read and discussed new press releases
- Wrote Reader Reports, attended book jacket meeting
- Used Bibliolite to update Information Sheets
07/2010 – 08/2010
Granta Books Ltd.
Editorial & Publicity Intern
- Attended acquisitions meeting, wrote two Reader’s Reports on book proposals
- Proof-read pieces for the magazine
- Responded to submitted manuscripts by post or email
- Used Bibliolite to update Information Sheets and to upload pictures for the new Granta Books website.
- Designed a flyer for a book launch.
03/2010 – 07/2010, 09/2010 -11/2010
Communications & Marketing volunteer (part-time)
- Used Adobe InDesign to create new leaflets and posters
- Put together copy for website
- Researched for projects and displays, organised mailings.
11/2008 - 07/2010, 09/2010 - 11/2010
The Listening Company
Service Professional for Debenhams
- Accessed information database and call-logging system
- Gave correct information for each query/complaint
- Varied tone of voice to aid understanding, or reassure.
Good Book Company
- Attended editorial and marketing meetings
- Proof-read early manuscripts, drafted copy for magazine.
09/2007 – 06/2008
Universities & Colleges Christian Fellowship
- Mentored six students throughout the year, led seminars
- Researched for and completed regular writing assignments
- Critiqued strategy of Christian Unions with staff on regular training conferences.
2000-2007 Held a variety of vacation and part-time jobs as a children’s play-worker, factory packer and post office clerk.
2004-2007 The University of Reading BA English (2:1)
Modules included Modern American Fiction, Children's Literature and 1580-1765: The Roots of Gothic.
2002-2004 Bay House Sixth Form, Gosport
3 A Levels: English Lang & Lit (A), Fine Art (A), History (C) AS Level: Maths (B).
Music - Achieved 4 grades on the clarinet and 2 on piano.
Film - Joined a local film club, and have been running this blog about entertainment, including books and films, since 2007.
Achieved Duke of Edinburgh Silver Award in 2003.
Full UK driving licence.
Available on request.